You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed. You'll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best.Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Oh, the Places You'll Go! Dr. Seuss (1990)

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Legacy and Losses

Well, these two recent pages reflect both past AND future, ironically enough. And I love them both, for their significance to ME. That got me thinking. Lately I've been doing a lot of scrapbooking to impress other people, and that's NOT what it's about. But it wasn't until I completed these two pages that I realized I am giving these gifts of remembrance not only to my children, but to enable myself to feel emotion AND have the outlet to capture it on "paper". Set in stone, if you will.
The first is with my daughter, who just turned 3 last week. I see in her myself, obviously, but also of that typical "I want the best for her" - thingy ;-) Watching her grow up, being all girlie-girl, I realize that she is totally NOT me, having been a tomboy, and growing up an avid hockey and football fan!!! I see in her the potential to have a daughter of her own...and thus, my legacy.

I also finally compelled myself to compose a layout remembering my grandparents...but not how they used to be, how they used to look or how they used to "live". I chose, rather, to honour the fact that they are "GONE"...and my emotions attached to said fact. The photo in the layout are the corner pieces of each of their caskets, of their final resting places. I ache that my grandmother, who so verily believed I was a boy, in utero, that she'd bought all blue baby stuff, never saw that I had a daughter of my own, after two boys. I ache that neither were able to drop a jaw to learn that I was carrying not one, but TWO little lives in my womb...my grandfather was supposed to have met the twins but two weeks after his passing. I miss them terribly, I still grieve at their loss...but know in my heart that their blood runs through the legacy they've left FORWARD, not behind.



No comments: