You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed. You'll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best.Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. Oh, the Places You'll Go! Dr. Seuss (1990)

Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Mother's Touch...

I'm behind in the scrappin' factor...and for good reason, believe me!!! Hannah had her surgery to have her adenoids and tonsils removed for "obstructive sleep apnea" on Friday. Not only was it the longest day of my life, it was the hardest...and with that evening still to come (we'd had to stay overnight at CHEO).

Nothing in the world makes me feel as powerless as I did when I saw my daughter in the recovery room. I like to think I am a woman of eloquence...but words fail me to describe the sight I beheld my little girl going through. Even as I held her crying in my arms, not knowing her surroundings, with her pain, her disorientation...I couldn't even muster up a small prayer for anything...anything at all. I was at a total loss. The only thing I could think to do was sing...so I did. And she settled. I sang....and it was the worst singing I've ever done as I tried to choke back my own tears. But still, she settled. I cupped her head in my hands and wished with all my might that I could somehow transfer her pain to me...

So I sat up all night watching her. I was on the clock before the nurses asking for her pain meds. But truth be known, she is a little fighter and I wish I had half the pain tolerance she must have!!! Little bugger fought off not only the morphine, but the codeine as well!!! She didn't fall asleep until HOURS after her surgery!! Meanwhile, I'm looking like a woodpecker knocking on trees, my head was so heavy from fatigue!! Good God, did they slip me some as well??? Hook me the hell up!!! ;-)

Anyways, she's doing just fine. I, however, am still traumatized. Although I know this will all be, at best, a figment of her imagination, I toil in the realization that even though I may feel like I can't do anything for my child in times of need, I am, indeed, the most powerful person in the world.

I am their mother.

"Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children." William Makepeace Thackeray

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pattie, Susan here from Tina's in Winchester. I can feel your pain and wanted to tell you that after a week or two from #(&(@ your daughter should feel so much better. Complete recovery can take a few months but it was worth it with my daughter Kristi. Her eating was better, her health improved, her sleeping was amazing. Certainly worth it in the end. I hope that all goes well for you. I look forward to seeing you in October at Tina's crop.